Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Right to Write

I feel like I'm getting rusty at writing. After 13 years of being a magazine editor and writing at least two articles a week, I went to a job where I didn't write a word for three months. I've always found it hard to write without a deadline hanging over my head, so I haven't done any recreational writing either. I guess that's the purpose of this blog, but I'm still having trouble getting motivated unless I find something interesting like a restaurant to write about.
Not writing was one of the things I found most annoying about my last job (it's a long list). I was supposedly hired to take care of all communications for the company, but I ended up simply taking dictation from the owner. He'd talk very fast, had little patience and I can barely read my own handwriting, so I hated doing this. At least toward the end, I would record his missives.
So, what's the purpose of this blog? I'm not really sure, but the title is misleading: I denied myself the "right to write," and I guess I wanted to find something to write about and get some things off my chest.

No comments: