Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Free at Last

I'm finally free of my job. When I gave notice, I said I wouldn't work until I was paid over $1,200 in expenses I submitted on August 3, and the still haven't been paid. I still worked for a few days, but it became obvious that payment wasn't forthcoming any time soon (I was offered $100 to work for one day). I packed up my things yesterday. I feel much better now, but also a bit scared about facing unemployment and being owed so much money by someone who has a bad history of paying ex-employees.
I've been told that he's been telling people that I left because I'm weak (he says this about everyone that leaves), but I've never felt more empowered in my life. It's always been difficult for me to stand up to tyrants, and I've faced a lot of them in my life, but this time I did it with dignity and strength. I don't feel weak at all—just the opposite. Perhaps that's the wisdom the journey that last few years has brought me: to finally put myself first, not accept second best (I almost did this time), to make decisions based on my heart and personal standards, and to do what's right.
Time and time again, I keep coming back to the two Jewish values I try to define my life by: tzedakah (acts of loving kindness) and tikkun olam (healing the world), and I almost lost sight of them by a force of evil who waived money in my face.

No comments: