Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Raoul was Right!


This was supposed to be posted the night of 8/01, but my connection went down: I've just spent an evening among the great unwashed on the strip in Vegas (unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera). I have to say that even though "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" was published over 30 years ago, if I'd been taking what the good Dr. Thompson was ingesting that fateful week, I would have had the same visions. Tonight I saw too many overweight people in overly tight clothing. Too many images and snipets of conversations to remember, except the wiff of backslapping, general yahoo ugliness and the voice of Judy Garland. Perhaps Thompson had the right idea about checking out. I know that most of his decision was based on his physical infirmities, but seeing the crest of the wave of the Bush/Cheney years breaking in Vegas like I did tonight reminded me of how we got into the sorry state we're in today. Thompson knew this and it was too frightening for even him to stand. I need to get back to the Bay Area and leave these people behind.

No comments: