Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cheapest Eats


Living on unemployment isn't easy, and stretching my food dollar has become one of my main goals. I usually make a huge batch of pasta or chili and living off that for a week, but it one can only eat the same thing for so many meals in a row. I have always been on the lookout for cheap eats, and living in Chinatown affords me lots of opportunities to seek them out. Perhaps the cheapest, and best, I’ve found recently are banh mi—delightful Vietnamese sandwiches that sell for $2-$2.50. Served on a light and crusty French roll and filled with meat and vegetables, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper or tastier lunch anywhere. The two in my neighborhood are within neighbors: Ba Le, 812 Franklin St. and BC Deli, 818 Franklin St., Oakland. Each sandwich is a meal in itself, with a choice of pork, ham, fish cake, chicken and various combinations, served with cilantro, lightly pickled daikon and carrot, cucumber, peppers on request, onions, a light mustard mayo, and salad dressing. If you’re on a budget, or just want a good lunch, check them out. Also, as if the price wasn’t cheap enough, both places offer a sixth sandwich for free if you buy five. Such a deal!

No comments: